Academics - Final Exams
Spring 2013 Final Exams -May 6-10
- Spring 2013 Final Exam Schedule (PDF)
- Faculty and students can see their final exam schedule in MaineStreet.
- Faculty can find their final exam schedule in the Faculty Center in the box labeled “My Final Exam Schedule”, located just below the “My Teaching Schedule” box which displays their semester’s classes.
- Students can see their final exam schedule by logging into MaineStreet and navigating to Student Self-Service > Student Center. Under the “Academics” section, select “Exam Schedule” from the “other academic…” drop-down menu.
- Not all sections of courses have Final Examinations. Please check your course schedule on MaineStreet if you are unsure of the section you are registered for. If your section is not listed and you have a question about this, check with your instructor.
During each semester two to four preliminary examinations may be administered. These “prelims” count heavily on the final grade. At the end of each semester final examinations are held in most courses. The final examination should count no more than one-third of the course grade, although exceptions may be made by the instructor on consultation with the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered. Final examinations are held according to a published schedule and cannot be taken before the scheduled time. Students who are scheduled for more than three final examinations in one day will be notified by the Office of Student Records and are asked to work with their instructors to reschedule one of the final exams to a make up period. If students have difficulty reaching a reasonable compromise with their instructors, the Office of Student Records will provide further assistance. Instructors are requested to announce to their respective classes at or near the last recitation period the time and place of each final examination. A student who misses the regular examination at the end of a semester for a legitimate reason should make arrangements with the instructor to make up the examination. A final examination may be scheduled only during final exam week. If a final exam is not scheduled, and the instructor wishes to schedule a prelim covering the last weeks of the course, this prelim must be given during the final exam week. No examination may be scheduled during the last week of classes unless permission is granted by the department, area, or unit curriculum committee or faculty equivalent. Scheduling decisions should be made within a framework that preserves the full length of the semester and considers the impact of such examinations on the students involved. For information purposes, this decision will be communicated by the unit to the college Associate Dean, whose responsibility is in turn to communicate with the Office of Student Records.
Athletic Events during Final Examination Period
The University of Maine will not schedule athletic events during final examination periods in December and May. The President, in consultation with the Executive Vice President and Provost, determines whether or not athletic teams will participate in post-season tournaments during final examination week.